Saturday 13 July 2013

Something I never thought I'd say...

...we are gardeners! My sister Margaret and her bf were given a tomato plant as a gift a couple months ago. They live in an amazing flat on the third floor of an old building right by the Edinburgh castle- perfect for listening to the delightful sounds of bagpipers, watching the fireworks every night of the festival and spying on tourists strolling the Royal Mile below. It is not, however, the ideal location for horticulture (had to google the definition to make sure it somewhat made sense ha).

Their flat is cool and cozy but doesn't have a garden (yard) so there was nothing they could do when the tomato plant grew too big for it's pot. Enter: The Kay/Kearns household. We gladly (once I found out I wouldn't really have to weed it) took the tomato plant in, transferred it to a bigger pot, and put it in our back garden. We bought a duck watering can at the pound store and have been out there at least twice a day lately (it's been HOT!) to water it.

Now, it must be said, that I used to hate hate HATE weeding and doing pretty much anything along those lines in the garden when I was a kid/teen. My siblings and I still talk about the time we had to disperse a giant pile of dirt throughout the landscaping in the backyard. I think it took an entire summer. At least. Weeding was by far the worst though- getting dirt caked under your fingernails and having to constantly check left and right to make sure no spiders (my biggest fear) were coming at me was not my idea of a fun Saturday afternoon.

That being said, Freddie LOVES going to water the tomato plant. He is understanding so much more these days and the second I ask if he wants to get his duck and go water the plant, he grabs it and heads for the door. He also likes watering the grass and his toes. So, I have been trying to get over my fear of spiders in their natural habitat and encourage him to enjoy the gardening experience. At least it doesn't involve any weeding (yet).

As you can tell by the pics, the tomato plant is a little crispy in places and has shown no signs of sprouting any actual tomatoes but we will persevere and see how it goes. I might be making homemade pasta sauce with our huge crop soon so stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Freddie has quite the green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha doesn't he! We'll have a full blown vegetable garden before I know it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...