Sunday 20 January 2013

Extreme Multitasking

I've touched on this in a previous post but I have some days where I'm SO impressed with my multitasking skills that I want to brag about it to everyone. I can get so much done in a short amount of time that I surprise even myself at times. Now you, my lovely blogger audience, get to hear all of the way-too-specific details of what I refer to as extreme multitasking.   

Most parents will probably agree that when your kid(s) go down for a nap it is time to MOVE. This is your (only) time to get things done so you better make the most of it. Yesterday I put Freddie down for a nap at 1pm and before he was even asleep (took him 4 minutes) I had done the lunch dishes, put a load of diapers in the washing machine, cleaned the high chair and vacuumed the living room and hall. I know, I know, it's thrilling stuff. But seriously- 4 minutes! You're impressed, right?

It gets better. So at 1:04pm I see on the monitor that he is asleep. I check on him, make a cup of tea, sit down with the computer, open five tabs (email, bbc, rbs, dailymail and dlisted), start pumping milk (I told you I was going to get specific!), drinking tea and catching up on my news/online banking. Then the phone rings. It's William. I continue pumping milk, logging into my bank, drinking tea and now add talking on the phone to the mix. I NEED ANOTHER HAND!

Seriously though- maybe there is an opening in the market for this. We could call it a "helping hand" or "mummy mitt" and it could attach to your head like a headlamp but be an extendable, remote-controlled arm. I guess you would have to operate it with one of your other hands though, or a foot. So maybe learning to utilize our toes more is the answer. Anyway, I've left you with a lot to think about, I know. If anyone wants to go into business with me and help make and market this "parental prong" then let me know!

Until then- I would encourage you all to see how much of a multitasker you can be. Extreme multitasking is intense and unsustainable yet definitely necessary at times. If you start to feel like your head is going to explode then you're doing too much.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...